Monday, August 30, 2010

How to kill the seasonal spirit

I went to Sam’s Club today and what do you suppose I saw? Christmas decorations! It’s only the end of August! Since stores have been complaining about the decline of seasonal sales I wonder when they figure the season starts. I realize that they think that if the sales are down, just start selling the stuff sooner and sooner. But August? Now really!

Retailers have been complaining for years and years about the decline of spending during holiday seasons; well, no wonder! Now, the next sentence is going to make me sound old but here goes anyway. When I was growing up, we didn’t see Halloween decorations until the beginning to mid-October. Thanksgiving décor came out the day after Halloween. We NEVER saw Christmas ‘anything’ until the day after Thanksgiving which was the starting whistle to the beginning the season’s shopping sales and sprees. Now by the time Thanksgiving is over, we’re blasé and tired of the holidays and who really needs to see more of the holiday season at that point.

No comments:

Post a Comment